On March 28, 2008 Gabriel Gifford Scheller died by suicide. Gabe was a compassionate person who cared deeply about social justice. Gabe's family and friends came together in the fall of 2016 to establish the Black Friday College Fund to honor Gabe's memory and spirit. The board members had a soft launch of the organization in November of 2016 and had the official launch of the organization in March of 2017.
The Black Friday College Fund will award their first scholarship in the summer of 2017.
The Black Friday College Fund is dedicated to improving access to colleges and universities for students of color from economically challenged backgrounds by providing financial assistance for tuition. Additionally, the Black Friday College Fund is committed to promoting the wellness of scholars by providing financial assistance for wrap-around support services.
- To increase access to higher education for students of color.
- To provide continued assistance to students of color once they enter tertiary education by providing funds to use on support services
- To raise awareness of the emotional and psychological strain caused to students of color coming from economically distressed families and neighborhoods
- To raise awareness of the importance of wrap-around support services for students of color in college/universities, including mental health services.
- To reduce the stigma of accessing mental health services in communities of color.